Hanukkah, the festival of lights, is a jewish holiday celebrated by the Lunar Calendar. This year, Hanukkah falls on December 10 and last for 8 nights. In this blog, I’m going to share 30 EASY Hanukkah Activities and traditions (including YUMMY foods) that kids will be sure to love! Hanukkah centres around the destruction of the main jewish temple in Jerusalem, during the Maccabean revolt. Judah the Maccabee, stood up for the Jewish people (so they could continue to practice Judaism) and revolted against the leader. During this short war, their temple was destroyed. Afterwards, the Jewish people could only find enough oil to light the candles for one day, which would not be enough time for them to make more oil and rebuild their temple. A miracle happened and the oil lasted for 8 days! This is why Jewish people celebrate the holiday by cooking foods in oil and lighting a Menorah for 8 nights.
Hanukkah Coloring Pages:
Kids always want to do more colouring! Both in my classroom and at home with my kids, it’s colouring colouring colouring. And I am all for it! But I like to get sneaky and add a literacy piece (of course being a literacy teacher!). I made these awesome Hanukkah colouring pages that are also colour by sight words. Best part, they’re editable! That means, you can add any words you like and use them over and over!
Hanukkah Worksheets: (Writing prompts!)
When learning new stories, traditions, or really just anytime, writing is always a good idea (again, I’m a literacy teacher!). The story of Hanukkah has so many elements and it is a great opportunity for kids to work on their text-to-self or text-to-world connections. I’m not one for just giving out worksheets. I believe that our time is so limited, so adding an emotional and personal piece is so helpful.
Hands-on Hanukkah fun!
Here is a list of amazing blogs that I found that have wonderful ideas for hands-on activities for kids!
- The CUTEST recycled Dreidel dolls
- Menorah Number Recognition
- Playdough Dreidel letters
- Play a matching game using different Hanukkah words and pictures. You can find my Hanukkah word list HERE.
- Candle Making! You can buy a kit HERE.
- Lego Dreidels- My kids LOVED this one!
- Swim noodle Menorah
- Star of David Mobile (+ bunch of other activities on this blog!)
- Practice writing Hebrew letters using playdough
- Playing the dreidel game- click HERE to see how!
- An EASY and fun Origami Dreidels
- A cupcake menorah! Now this one I’ll have to try!!
- Driedel hunt. Hide dreidels around the house and kids find them.
- Write cards using Hanukkah Stamps
- Hanukkah sponges. Using paint, kids make different stamps.
LOVE this idea for a Miracle Menorah! WatCH the video below (it’s about 2 minutes long)
Traditional Hanukkah Food!
A Jewish holiday wouldn’t be a Jewish holiday without some food! Some of my favourites are latkes (fried potatoes), sugar cookies, chocolate dreidels and Sufganiyot, which are DELICIOUS jelly-filled donuts!
I found a few recipes that looks amazing!! I’ve linked them all below!
- Chocolate Marshmallow Dreidels
- Chicken Soup
- myjewishlearning.com has so many more recipes! click HERE
As you can see, there are so many wonderful ways to celebrate Hanukkah! I just love this holiday as it brings light and love to your life and so many around you. If you are looking for more ways to celebrate and learn more about Hanukkah both in your classroom and at home, click the link below to grab my Chanukkah unit!